Wednesday, January 06, 2010

miniMarathon Madness

Two years ago Joshua ran the Derby marathon and I got inspired to consider running a half marathon. Needless to say last April was not a good time to try and run one as Daniel was 3 months old. But this April I think is a good time to attempt it! So, with 100 something days left until the Derby Festival miniMarathon I officially started training today! Joshua tells me often that I need to make attainable goals--I think this one is attainable. I tend to make really grand, crazy goals and don't end up finishing them--like making the goal to read through an entire encyclopedia set. Or making the goal to bike on a stationary bike to equivalent of riding from Maine to Washington! I think I got to the middle of the "A" encyclopedia and I rode about 200 miles. So is it madness to run 13 miles? Quite possibly. But I think this goal is reachable!

Joshua is going to train with me so we are going to be pushing Daniel in the running stroller. Daniel likes going on walks so he should be content to "train" with us!

It's been in the 20s here so today I went to the seminary and ran on their track, which is on the 3rd floor and an inferno! Note to self: No more wearing running pants...it's gotta be shorts. I'm following the training schedule that is on the Derby Festival run website. So today Daniel and I embarked on a 2 mile track run. It wasn't too bad...I haven't really run since the beginning of December so it was a little slower than I would like, but hey, there's room for much improvement!

Part of my madness is in how I'm trying to get two college friends to come run it with us! You know who you are are girls...you should do it!

I was reading a friend's website today and he was talking about training to run a half marathon and possibly a marathon and doing it raise awareness/money for a worthy reason. So that got me to thinking. A friend from church had already talked about maybe getting our small group to run it together and raise money for a specific person...So I thought of that again today and I think it's a good idea. I'll have to talk to a few people and work out details before I'm sure if this specific idea will work, but I think it might.

i work tomorrow and I'll practically walk a marathon (not really), but there is no way that I'm coming home from work and running. So Friday it's another 2 miler and Saturday it's 3.

No comments: