Friday, February 08, 2008

Yummy Chicken Pot Pie


Mmmm. The other day I tried out a recipe that I got from my friend Jessica. This recipe can be made with chicken or turkey and it's splendid both ways. At the end of the recipe I'll put some comments about some changes that I made to it (I hardly ever make a recipe just the way it says to!)

Ingredients:
Boneless, skinless chicken breast (enough for 4-6 cups cooked, cubed)
5 cups chicken stock
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1 1/2 sticks butter
2 yellow onions, chopped
3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 cups diced carrots, blanched for 2 minutes
1 (10 oz.) package frozen peas
Bisquick Mix (use recipe on back of box for pastry top-must have milk and eggs)

Directions:
Either cook chicken on baking sheet or in a skillet on stove. Use olive oil, salt and pepper to season. Set aside until cool enough to handle, and then cut chicken into large dice. You will have 4-6 cups of cubed chicken.

In a small saucepan, heat the chicken stock and dissolve the bouillon cubes in the stock. In a large pan, melt butter and sauté the onions over med-low heat for 10-15 minutes, until onions are translucent. Add the flour and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Add the hot chicken stock. Simmer on low heat for 1 more minute, stirring, until thick. Add 2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoons pepper, and heavy cream. Add the cubed chicken, carrots, and peas. Mix well.

Follow the recipe on the back of the Bisquick box to make the pastry top. Pour the filling for the pot pie into individual oven-safe bowls, or into one large oven safe dish. Then pour Bisquick mixture over the tops until filling is covered. Bake at 400 degrees until tops are golden brown.

Eat it and enjoy!!!

Now for my recommendations:
Because boneless chicken is more expensive, we always buy bone-in chicken. If you don't mind a tad more work...Instead of baking the chicken, I boiled it in water, then let it cool, and it practically falls off the bone and then I just cut it up into small pieces. What I wish I would have thought of before I bought chicken stock was that if you boil the chicken in about 6 cups of water, you will be basically making your own chicken stock and that way you don't have to buy chicken stock!

Instead of using butter I used margarine, and it works fine. You could do either. When I added the flour, it got thick really fast, so I didn't cook it for the full 2 minutes before adding the hot chicken stock. And when I added the chicken stock, it was pretty lumpy at first. But just be persistent in stirring and the lumps will go away. I did have to "mush" the lumps up against the side of the pan and that got rid of them more quickly as I was stirring.

My last issue was when I was looking for the recipe on the back of the Bisquick box...I had looked on the back of the box at the store and didn't see a recipe for pastry topping. And to save money I bought the store brand...so with a quick call to Jessica I got the recipe. She recommended tripling this recipe for the topping:

1 cup Bisquick
1/2 cup milk
1 egg

Well I got a little carried away and multiplied it by 5!!! What I didn't realize about Bisquick was that it puffs up ALOT! So if you make this just stick with tripling or maybe quadrupling it! Anyway it takes about 30 minutes for it to bake....that's in a large baking dish...I don't have any personal size baking dishes. It makes a ton so invite some people over and enjoy the best chicken pot pie that you have ever tasted and be proud that you made it! (If you have ever had any of those 50 cent chicken pot pies, your mouth will thank you for making this pot pie! Although Joshua would say there is nothing wrong with those frozen pot pies, but his taste buds are not very discriminating!)

No comments: